Friday, July 20, 2012

Claims of Copyright Infringement

I'm curious to know if other TG bloggers have received requests to remove images on the basis of copyright infringement and, if so, whether you have simply complied with the request, rejected the request (on the basis of fair use or otherwise), or entered into some kind of dialogue with the person asserting the copyright. Unfortunately, the image at issue (which I've already taken down, at least temporarily) was one of the most popular captions that I've ever posted: Stupid Wish.

Obviously, this blog is just a hobby. I'm not making any money at it and I'm not looking to get into litigation with anyone over a caption that I've created. On the other hand, I'm a strong believer in the doctrine of fair use and don't react well to people who believe that simply shouting "copyright" is both the beginning and end of the story.

So I'm not sure if I'm going to leave post without the image or ... um ... I don't know.

Suggestions?

12 comments:

  1. The thought crosses my mind each day I create a cap, but in my opinion, is necessary to create our art. Although "fair use" is at play, if someone did ask me to take down the picture, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the club.

    There are a lot of people that I don't know why but they enjoy chasing TG Captiones like us.

    Maybe is that this kind of people is green of envy.

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=420335881351404&set=a.185663018152026.57379.185654341486227&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that cap is hilarious! Would you object to my posting it here? Don't worry, I'll give you full credit and a link to your Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use it unlimitedly.

      Maybe, for the next, I will claim you a copyright fee (LOL) ;)

      Delete
  4. I want you to send it to me as well or if you have the image without the caption you should send it to us so we all can post the image and all make our own caption for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could always try to find a different image for the caption. I know it wouldn't be quite the same, but it would at least be something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know about the legal part of it but it seems like this model is just being petty. It' doesn't hurt her at all to have her image used for a caption.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's pretty petty of someone to ask you to take down a caption. I believe in fair use like you, but wouldn't want to get into litigation either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im not really sure how, if you're using the free lower-res picture that gets released for other sites to advertise, then tattooing all over it and not just a box underneath, its copyright.. Maybe just keep any tags and link to the original set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Alexandra don't report me for using a picture posted as public, in a fan page set as public that belongs to a person who define herself in Facebook as a public figure.

      Delete
  9. Hey, all, thank for helping me work through this little hiccup. The initial takedown email got me both depressed and angry. I'm glad to know (well, maybe "glad" is the wrong word), that my reactions weren't unique and that I'm not the only one to have faced this kind of crap. I've got a few ideas for a ways to respond in mind, but I'm not sure if I'll end up doing anything or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Queen used to sing:

      The show must go on!

      It's the best way for saying you can't beat me.

      Delete

Add This